Telling yourself to stay focused on a task, especially a boring one, is often a lot easier said than done. There are several techniques that can help you focus on the task in front of you, try these steps:
- Turn off notifications on your phone or turn your phone off altogether.
- Tell those around you not to distract you for a period of time.
- Set your timer for 25 minutes and get to work.
- When the buzzer sounds, take a 5-minute break.
- Then, set the timer again and get back to work for another 25 minutes.
- Once you’ve done four rounds of this, you can take a longer break, 20 to 30 minutes.
- This timing method (Pomodoro technique) trains your brain to stay on task for short periods of time. Shop our Self-Help Books